Friday, September 17, 2010

The Week of Loss

I'm glad that if things really do come in threes that the third thing to die this week was my dryer. Especially since I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon.

Both my cat and my computer went the way of the lobster last Tuesday (as in, lobsters as a buffet item on cruise ships after the recession....gone). They both started off sick, but I thought I could handle both the diagnosis and the treatment myself. They both got sicker. I ran every manner of antivirus software and "tune up" on my computer and it got sicker and sicker, eventually taking 90 minutes to boot up Windows. The cat had stopped eating altogether and I was force-feeding him, assuming the problem was stress cuz our dog likes to chase him and occasionally they - yes - fight like cats and dogs.

I finally succumbed and took the cat to the veterinary hospital. He lived there 5 days racking up $1000 but only got worse. He died Tuesday. 11 years ago I took two teenage girls to the SPCA to pick out a kitten. Mistake. They both fell in love with a different kitten so we brought home two, much to my "I-hate-cats" husband's dismay. Katie named him "Forrest" after Forrest Gump - adorable but stupid. The other cat Alex named "Biscuit" after a character on Alie McBeal who was smart but weird. Biscuit is a little lonely now but he's a healthy 24-pounder who just blorts around on the spare bed all day and purrs up a storm in my ear at night.

The computer I took to the "hospital" as well. It also had to be euthanized due to "hard-drive failing." It's under warranty but I have to return it to Future Shop to get a new hard drive. Bah!

Yesterday the dryer gave out. It just doesn't heat up, so I'll have to call someone in next week. Meanwhile my last load before it gave out is hanging all over my house - it couldn't have been towels or sheets - oh no. That would violate Murphy's Law. It's socks and underwear and gym clothes. My house looks like the back yard of a tenement.

From time to time my TV and my iPhone were acting weird this week as well. I wondered if either I or the house had been hit by lightning any time lately. Or perhaps it's Gremlins or Aliens. At this point I'd be like "Take me with you! I'll put up with the anal probe! Anything! Please!"

On a happier note the writing is going well (on Charlie's computer). I have secured some editing jobs and I'm working on a couple of screenplays. I have a few counseling clients now so that's also going well. Life is generally good...as long as this week's losses are confined to just three!

No comments: